Pages

Wednesday, December 8, 2010

A Little Spey

Over the weekend I got out and fished a local spring creek. The area I was fishing has trees pretty close to the back cast, where overhead casting is very limited. I typically roll cast in part of this creek, but this time I tried a few spey casts.

Casting this way allowed me to control the line and keep it out of the trees! I even caught a fish to show for my 3 hours worth of freezing! It was taken on an orange midge with a bead head.


...and a bonus video.  Since the picture above is 100% awesome, and not 110% awesome, I'll share this cool video from Red Truck Fly Fishing Co that has some sweet shots of spey casting!  Someday, I hope to get a switch or spey rod and give this style of casting a better shot!


Spey and Switch Fly Rods – Red Truck Fly Fishing Company from Leland Fly Fish on Vimeo.

No comments: